Thank you for your interest in the Upper Allen Township Police Department (UATPD) Citizen Police Academy. The academy is sponsored and presented by UATPD as part of its efforts to continually connect with the citizens we serve. You are to be commended for your willingness to sacrifice your valuable time to participate in the program. It is our belief that by actively participating in this program you will learn to appreciate the complexities of policing in the 21st century.
The academy is being offered as an effort to provide citizens with information about the police profession. UATPD began back in 1966 and many aspects of policing have changed, including new advances in information sharing, crime scene processing, forensics and the use of force, to cite a few examples. Our hope with this Academy is to expose you to many of these experiences, with hands-on activities and streamlined presentations to allow completion within eleven weeks. The 2019 Academy is our annual citizen police academy and we are confident you will gain a better understanding of the Upper Allen Township Police Department and its operation through your participation.
Just as importantly, we hope you’ll have some fun along the way while you learn. Thank you for helping us to meet our goals of community education, mutual understanding and support. Your participation in the Academy is evidence of your personal commitment to the community. Rest assured, your Police Department shares that commitment, and we are privileged to work with and serve citizens of your caliber to preserve the safety and welfare of the community of Upper Allen Township.
- Applicants must be at least 16 years of age or older at the time of applying. Applicants under the age of 18 must have adult supervision.
- All applicants must be residents, business owners or work at a business in Upper Allen Township; preference given to Upper Allen Township residents.
- All applicants will be subject to a criminal history check.
- Limited travel is required for some off-site locations so only properly licensed and insured drivers are accepted.
- Applications must be submitted by Friday, February 8, 2019. Applications can be submitted online, in person to the Police Department front desk, or mailed to the Upper Allen Township Police Department at 100 Gettysburg Pike, Mechanicsburg, PA 17055.
- The Chief of Police has final approval of all applications and reserves the right to deny entry to any applicant. Accepted applicants will be notified by phone or email.
- The Academy is free of charge to all members. Class size is limited to 20 (minimum of 12).
- Dress for class is business casual (no blue jeans). Uniform shirts will be provided.
- Qualified applicants who are denied admission due to class size constraints will be given preference when the next Academy session is scheduled. Applicants are accepted on a first come, first serve basis.
- The Release of Liability form must be signed and returned by the applicant with each completed application.
- Classes will be held at the Upper Allen Township Police Department building. Classes will start on March 12, 2019 and conclude on May 7, 2019.
- Classes will be held on Tuesday evenings from 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM. Class cancellations due to weather, etc., will be posted on our website or via text on day of class.
- Please contact Sergeant Thomas Dombroski of the Upper Allen Township Police Department at 717-795-2445 with any questions.
- Ride-a-longs with UATPD must be scheduled on student’s own time and applied for separately. Students will receive more information at the first class session.
- Attendees who miss more than 2 nights of classes will not be allowed to return.
- Continued participation in this program is at the discretion of the Department. Acceptance into the program does not guarantee access to the entire program.
- Attendees agree to allow their photographic images to be used for Department purposes.