The notoriety of crimes wherein a buyer or seller in an internet-arranged transaction become victimized has created the need for a location where the public has a sense of security. In response, the Upper Allen Police Department welcomes citizens to use the police station parking lot and lobby as a location to conduct private transactions related to online purchases such as those made through eBay or craigslist.
Members of the police department will not assist in the transaction to include obtaining identification from the buyer or seller, checking serial numbers on items involved in the transaction, or negotiating methods of payment.
The station is under video surveillance; however, it is not actively monitored 24/7. The sale or purchase of firearms will not be permitted in the police station. The police department assumes no liability regarding the quality or authenticity of the items involved in the transaction.
The police parking lot is available 24/7. The police lobby is open to the public for property exchanges from 8am – 4pm, Monday through Friday, excluding holidays.
General safety tips to keep in mind:
- Insist to meet at a public place.
- Don’t go alone.
- Trust your instincts.
- Do not meet in a secluded area.
- Do not invite strangers into your home, and do not go to theirs.
- Be cautious when buying/selling high value items.
- Perform the transaction during daylight hours.
- If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.
- Tell a friend or family member about your intentions.
- Take your cell phone with you.