The Upper Allen Police Department completed its third on-site assessment by assessors of the Pennsylvania Law Enforcement Accreditation Commission (PLEAC) on April 4, 2016. The unanimous recommendation of certified assessors was for the Upper Allen Police Department to receive full accreditation status at the next scheduled PLEAC meeting. PLEAC later met and voted to grant full accreditation status for an additional three (3) years to the Upper Allen Township Police Department.
The accreditation concept and practice is not new. For many years, hospitals, universities and other professional fields have undergone accreditation to prove compliance with a set of professional standards. The concept of accreditation is a progressive and time-proven way of helping organizations evaluate and improve their overall performance. The cornerstone of this strategy lies in the promulgation of standards containing a clear statement of professional law enforcement objectives. The PLEAC program contains 133 standards and 184 sub standards.
The PLEAC recognition is a coveted award that symbolizes professionalism, excellence and competence in the law enforcement profession. The Upper Allen Township community can take pride in their department knowing it represents the very best is Pennsylvania law enforcement.
PLEAC was established in July 2001 and the Upper Allen Police Department became the 68th police department out of over 1200 police departments in Pennsylvania to be recognized by PLEAC as an accredited agency.
Some benefits of accreditation for our agency:
- Established a credible framework for evaluating agency practices and procedures.
- Reduces agency risk and exposure to lawsuits.
- Decreases some liability insurance expenditures.
- Improves law enforcement-community relations.
- Increases employee input, interaction and confidence in the agency.
- Enlarges the outlook and viewpoints of managers, officers and employees.
- Identifies and highlights the capabilities and competence of the agency.
- Furnishes a solid foundation for the agency to build upon for further progress.
- Provides reliable methods to improve essential management procedures.
- Extends agency accountability to the public and elected officials.
- Enhances planning and innovation activities by all agency personnel.
- Develops improved methods for providing services to the community.
- Encourages problem-solving activities within the agency.